A famous quote says, "who owns the information, owns the world." Facebook, Google and other giant companies collect, store, process, and analyze colossal amounts of data every day. The specialists who handle big data – Data Engineers – need to have an extraordinary analytical mind and the ability to find patterns in order to become successful in this area.
We have collected a broad array of materials that will be useful at the beginning of your educational journey.
Data & Analytics Overview
Discover the world of Data with these resources:
- The Power of Data: Data Practice & Data Analytics Engineering at EPAM
- Data Practice at EPAM: 6 Paths for a Confident Start in IT
- What Makes a Data Engineer's Profession
- Shaping Career as a Data Analytics Engineer YouTube Stream
Start your Data & Analytics journey with these free courses created by EPAM experts:
- Data & Analytics. Introduction to SQL – for those just beginning their path in the direction.
- Relational Databases Basics – a self-paced course for productive database learning.
Databases and SQL
SoloLearn: Learn to Code for Free is a popular and expert-recommended educational resource for programming. Simple exercises will quickly give you an understanding of SQL for data handling:
- Introduction to SQL – a course to help you get started.
- SQL Intermediate – an advanced course to take your skills to the next level.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Bible – a comprehensive guide to mastering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 features.
Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
- Data Warehousing for Dummies by Thomas C. Hammergren is an excellent guide for beginners. It covers everything you need to know about data storage, from basics to the cool recent features, without drowning you in technical jargon. With real-world examples and a friendly style, this book will be your best helper in learning about databases.
- The Data Warehouse ETL Toolkit by Ralph Kimball is an indispensable resource for data professionals. It offers practical techniques for data extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) in data warehousing projects. Suitable for beginners and experienced practitioners, the book covers industry-tested methodologies and best practices essential for successful ETL implementations.
Information Dashboard Design by Stephen Few is your friend and advisor for creating impressive data visualizations. Clear explanations and real examples will help you master the art of presenting complex information with simple visuals. No more boring spreadsheets or confusing graphs — with this book you'll start impressing your audience and obtain tools for confident data-driven business decisions.
Introduction to Hadoop
To add something new to your arsenal and avoid taking more online courses, dive into the basics of Hadoop, one of the most popular systems for processing big data, with the YouTube lecture series Hadoop Tutorial for Beginners.
Fundamentals of Algorithms and/or Programming
- Scratch – Imagine, Program, Share is a resource that lets you learn the basics of Scratch programming in an entertaining way
- Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures using Python by Brad Miller and David Ranum is an interactive guide to the fundamentals of algorithms and data structures
Universal Educational Resource
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials is an educational website covering most aspects of web programming. Choose from numerous interactive courses and learn through games, practical exercises, and challenges.
Want to start a career in one of the most promising IT fields of the future? Check out the available Data & Analytics training programs from EPAM.